An interesting review of subculture-related publications, including essay, fiction and comics. Plus an appendix!
🇮🇹 Attenzione! Questo post sui libri skinhead è in inglese e quasi tutti gli articoli linkati sono nella stessa lingua. Se sei interessato a dei testi sulla sottocultura, dai uno sguardo al nostro negozio online!
Skinhead classics – Books for boot boys
Our friends at Creases Like Knives have published an interesting review of skinhead-related books.
Their research explores essays, fiction and comics from the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s.
- Richard Allen, Skinhead, 1970.
- Susie Daniel – Pete McGuire (eds.), The Paint House: Words from an East End Gang, 1972.
- John Clarke, The Skinheads and the Study of Youth Culture, 1975.
- Garry Johnson, The Story of Oi! – A View from the Dead End of the Street, 1981.
- C. Ryan, Skinheads, 1981.
- Trevor Griffiths, Oi! for England, 1982.
- Nick Knight, Skinhead, 1982.
- Peter Milligan and Brendan McCarthy, Skin, 1992.
- Steve Goodman, England Belongs to me, 1994.
- George Marshall, Spirit of ’69: A Skinhead Bible, 1994 (2nd. ed.).
Note: our blog features a post on the upcoming Italian edition of Spirit of ’69. The article is only available in Italian language, but you can still rely on Google Translate for a rough translation.
- Marc Griffiths, Boss Sounds: Classic Skinhead Reggae, 1995.
- George Marshall, Skinhead Nation, 1996.
Appendix – More skinhead books!
The guys at Creases Like Knives have also written other articles on skinhead writers and skinhead-related books. Check them out!
- Cropheads Between the Covers – Festive Roundup
- Cropheads Between the Covers – Books Roundup #1
- Skinhead Farewell – An Interview with Mark Sargeant
- Children of the Sun – An Interview with Max Schaefer
- Hardcore Hegelian – An Interview with Stewart Home
Note: you can read another interview with Home in our blog (EN, IT)
- Another Rebel Thread – An interview with Roger K. Burton
- Punk Bashing Time – An interview with Andrew Gallix
- Italia Skins! An Interview with Flavio Frezza
Note: the same interview has been translated in Italian language for our blog!
- Literary hooligan: an interview with John King
- The Story of Oi! A View from the Dead End of the Street
Published: March 18, 2018. Updated: January 11, 2019.