An interesting review of subculture-related publications, including essay, fiction and comics. Plus an appendix!
Attenzione! Questo post sui libri skinhead è in inglese e tutti gli articoli linkati sono nella stessa lingua. Se vuoi leggere articoli in italiano sullo stesso argomento, dai uno sguardo al post su Spirit of '69 di George Marshall, alle interviste con Stewart Home, Tim Wells e Flavio Frezza, oppure acquista il libro Italia Skins!
Skinhead classics – Books for boot boys
Our friends at Creases Like Knives have published an interesting review of skinhead-related books.
Their research explores essays, fiction and comics from the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s.
- Richard Allen, Skinhead, 1970.
- Susie Daniel – Pete McGuire (eds.), The Paint House: Words from an East End Gang, 1972.
- John Clarke, The Skinheads and the Study of Youth Culture, 1975.
- Garry Johnson, The Story of Oi! – A View from the Dead End of the Street, 1981.
- C. Ryan, Skinheads, 1981.
- Trevor Griffiths, Oi! for England, 1982.
- Nick Knight, Skinhead, 1982.
- Peter Milligan and Brendan McCarthy, Skin, 1992.
- Steve Goodman, England Belongs to me, 1994.
- George Marshall, Spirit of ’69: A Skinhead Bible, 1994 (2nd. ed.).
Note: our blog features a post on the upcoming Italian edition of Spirit of ’69. The article is only available in Italian language, but you can still rely on Google Translate for a rough translation.
- Marc Griffiths, Boss Sounds: Classic Skinhead Reggae, 1995.
- George Marshall, Skinhead Nation, 1996.
Appendix – More skinhead books!
The guys at Creases Like Knives have also written other articles on skinhead writers and skinhead-related books. Check them out!
- Cropheads Between the Covers – Festive Roundup
- Cropheads Between the Covers – Books Roundup #1
- Skinhead Farewell – An Interview with Mark Sargeant
- Children of the Sun – An Interview with Max Schaefer
- Hardcore Hegelian – An Interview with Stewart Home
Note: you can read another interview with Home in our blog (EN, IT)
- Another Rebel Thread – An interview with Roger K. Burton
- Punk Bashing Time – An interview with Andrew Gallix
- Italia Skins! An Interview with Flavio Frezza
Note: the same interview has been translated in Italian language for our blog!
- Literary hooligan: an interview with John King
- The Story of Oi! A View from the Dead End of the Street
(This article was published on March 18, 2018, and updated on January 11, 2019)